There are countless different varieties of formulated parrot food out there, so it can be difficult to know which is the best choice for your Amazon parrots.
Their diets are relatively simple, and at the same time very delicate, things that need to be carefully worked out to make sure they are getting the best range of nutrients possible.
With all these different options on the market, knowing the good from the bad can feel like a minefield, especially for new parrot owners.
Today, we’re going to take a broad look at different food options for your Amazon parrots, with good options for a budget or if you’ve got money to spend.
Let’s dive into it and find out which is the best food for your Amazon parrot.
|Our Award||Name||Image||Check Price|
|Best Overall||Bird Street Bistro Parrot Food|
|Best Budget||Higgins Safflower Gold Natural Food Mix for Parrots|
|Best Premium||ZuPreem FruitBlend Flavor Pellets Bird Food for Parrots|
Best overall: Bird Street Bistro Parrot Food
Starting off with our pick for the best overall choice for food for your Amazon parrot is the Bird Street Bistro parrot food.
This parrot food packs in everything your Amazon parrot will need for the basis and backbone of its diet.
The food comes in a wide variety of flavors with different things included in each one, the most popular being the “Viva La Veggies” option containing a medley of vegetables as well as the typical seeds and nuts you will find in any bag of Bird Street Bistro food.
The food also comes in Cajun Bean, CinnaSpice, Southern Feast and Tropical varieties, all of which provide an different take on your bird’s diet and it is sure to love all of them.
What’s great about the variety of this feed is that you can keep trying different flavors until you find the one your Amazon parrot seems to enjoy the most.
It is suitable for almost any parrot but will be particularly well suited to an Amazon parrot, which are typically most used to a wide variety of fruits in their diet.
With fresh fruit being trickier to incorporate on a regular basis, though, the dried fruit options of this feed make it a great option for your Amazon parrot.
The formula uses all natural ingredients, meaning that you don’t have to worry about the feed being toxic or harmful and is not adulterated by any chemicals sometimes used in the mass production of bird food.
It has no fillers, sugars, or harmful sulphites.
The feed is usually a pure mix of dried fruits and vegetables, organic grains, and a variety of healthy spices to make it more interesting and enjoyable.
The Viva La Veggies option, for example, includes rice, organic green peas, millet, bulgur wheat, pearled barley, couscous, carrot, oats, peppers, and much, much more.
The mixtures are rich in beneficial nutrients like phosphorous, iron, calcium, and riboflavin, among other things.
Your parrot’s health will benefit in countless ways from this food.
To top it all off, the product is eco-friendly and made in the U.S. to an extremely high standard.
The food is great and healthy for your bird, more or less nutritionally complete, and at the same time it is very conscious of its environmental footprint.
It’s highly affordable and no matter your situation, you can’t go wrong with this parrot food for your Amazons.
- Nutritionally complete food providing more or less everything your parrot needs minus fresh food treats at a highly affordable price.
- Organic ingredients mean that you sidestep the common problems of chemical toxins in mass produced bird food, so you can feed this to your Amazon parrots with peace of mind.
- Packed with countless nutrients that your parrot needs such as calcium, iron, potassium, niacin, thiamine, fiber, riboflavin, and much more.
- Highly affordable option that is not too expensive, and at the same time not so cheap that you worry where it comes from.
- Some report that there is a very high quantity of rice in the food compared with the other ingredients, and as such their birds were not very interested in it.
- Many report their parrots do not like it for some reason and will not eat it. This is a common problem, though—parrots are highly individual and know what they want!
Without doubt, then, this one ticks the most boxes.
It is fully nutritionally complete and provides a huge range of nutritional and dietary benefits for your Amazon parrot.
It is packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals and your parrot will be extremely happy eating this on a daily basis.
All this while also being completely affordable and not breaking the bank just to feed the parrots—this is by far the best overall choice.
Best budget: Higgins Safflower Gold Natural Food Mix for Parrots
For those on more of a budget, though, don’t worry as there are plenty of great options out there for feeding your Amazon parrots while also watching the bank balance.
For this, our pick for the best budget option is Higgins Safflower food mix, which can be used to feed a wide variety of parrots including Amazon parrots.
At only $0.35 per ounce, it’s among the cheaper options for Amazon parrot food but it’s still in the price range that you can be assured of its quality.
Food is obviously one of the most important things to your Amazon parrot’s diet and so you should always be wary that what you’re feeding them is nutritionally complete—many foods much are much cheaper than this but you have no assurance of quality.
This parrot food is completely natural, lacking any artificial preservatives or colors.
Again, many cheaper food options will use harmful, artificial ingredients such as these in order to cut corners and costs so that they can charge a lesser amount for their produce while still making a high margin.
Despite its budget price, this food avoids all of that, providing your bird with a safe, all natural food solution that doesn’t put its health at risk in any way.
The contents can vary from bag to bag meaning you’re always getting something a little different, and you can be sure your Amazon parrots will enjoy the variety of this.
But you’ll always find a wide variety of seeds, oats, fruits, vegetables, as well as flavoring like spices.
Freeze dried fruits and vegetables ensure there are lots of tasty treats within the food so that your parrots are happy and excited to eat it, and aren’t just getting seeds and oats every time.
Alongside their other treats and snacks like fresh fruits and vegetables, this food provides a nutritionally complete diet which will benefit their health in countless different ways.
They will get all the minerals and vitamins they need and, perhaps even more importantly, it will come in an interesting buffet they are bound to love.
All of this and this food is still the cheapest option on this list.
You will typically buy a 3lb bag at around $16.68, meaning you’ll be well stocked up after only a single purchase.
Don’t think that you are cutting corners by buying this parrot food—it is everything your Amazon parrots will need.
- Highly affordable budget option, while there remain no corners cut or shortcuts taken in the production of the food—it is highly nutritionally rich and tasty, so your birds will love it while also being very healthy for them.
- Completely devoid of artificial, harmful ingredients like preservatives and colorings. It’s an all-natural product that keeps your Amazon parrots in safe hands during dinner time.
- Can be given to Amazon parrots at all stages of their lives, so whether you’ve got a fledgling or an old aged Amazon parrot, they will all love this great food.
- Some report it lacks some of the foods advertised in the images, although since every bag is different you can expect to find different things depending on when you buy it.
- Some have reported finding black mould on the peanuts when the feed arrives, so always check any food your buy for your parrots as this could happen with any feed.
- Peanuts are not shelled which can create issues depending on the dexterity of your parrots.
While this feed is not without its downsides, overall you are absolutely getting everything your Amazon parrot needs out of this budget option.
This food provides a nutritionally complete meal alongside their regular treats of fresh fruits and vegetables, so you can rest assured that this food is giving your Amazon parrots all the benefits they need for their day to day diet.
If you’re on a budget, this is the choice for you.
Best premium: ZuPreem FruitBlend Flavor Pellets Bird Food for Parrots
If you’ve got the money to spend and want to get something that goes above and beyond for your Amazon parrot’s needs, then this ZuPreem fruit blend could be the best option for you.
It is somewhat more expensive than other options, but you are absolutely getting more for your money with this one.
This daily blend packs tons of different, exciting, and interesting ingredients for your parrot’s food that they are sure to love.
What’s more is that while the foods we’ve looked at so far have been formulated mostly for parrots in general, this one is specifically for Amazons as well as a handful of other species.
This means you are getting the most specialized and specific blend for your Amazon parrot from which they will get the most benefit.
This healthy and delicious pellet blend is made with all natural ingredients, so again you don’t have any problems with harmful preservatives or colorings.
Not only this, but the feed is fortified with all kinds of essential nutrients on top of what is already found in the ingredients themselves.
It is fortified with vitamins, minerals and amino acids, providing the strongest foundation possible for your Amazon parrot’s diet.
It is made with a loving blend of ground corn, soybean meal, wheat, sugar, and many fruits including apples, oranges, bananas, grapes and more.
It is also carefully flavored with natural ingredients so that your parrots will love it even more without the issues of artificial flavorings.
The foods are condensed into easily digestible pellets in many colors and shapes which your Amazon parrots will love to eat.
While there is always some debate about pellet diets over seed diets, this food makes a great way to change up your Amazon parrot’s daily feed.
This can provide a wide range of benefits even if you only use it as daily food two or three times a week, and swap it out for other feed during the rest of the week.
As always, paired with regular snacks of fresh fruits and vegetables, this food is nutritionally complete and will complete turn your Amazon parrot’s health around.
This is certainly a different choice, then, being the one pellet based food on this list—but different options are always worth considering and you may well find that your Amazon parrots love this food more than any other choice.
If you’ve got spare money to spend on your Amazon parrot’s diet, then this could well be the choice for you.
- Nutritionally complete and fortified with virtually everything your parrot needs for complete and total bodily health—there is nothing missing from this formula.
- Pellet form of food provides many advantages such as ease of digestion and often the simple fact that your parrots will prefer it to other options.
- All natural at every step, free from artificial colors, preservatives, and flavorings, providing all the necessary nutrition without using artificial ingredients.
- Somewhat more expensive than other options, being sold in larger quantities at a relatively high price.
- Some report pellet sizes are too large even for bigger parrots which can present issues for exceptionally small Amazon parrots.
- Some report duller colors on actual product than as advertised.
So if you have the extra money to spend, then this could well be the choice for you.
It is more or less nutritionally complete and comes with just about everything you would need out of food for parrots.
As long as you provide the extra fresh treats on the side, then an Amazon that likes this feed could well never need anything else.
This is by far the best premium option out there.
Alternative budget: Wild Harvest Advanced Nutrition Diet for Parrots
Another good choice for those on a budget is the Wild Harvest mix for parrots.
It’s another great natural food mix that provides a complete foundation for your Amazon parrot’s diet without breaking the bank.
If you’re looking for something that’s a bit easier on your wallet without cutting any corners for your Amazon parrot’s health, then this is definitely another great choice.
At $2.75 per pound, it’s one of the cheapest options pound for pound on our list today.
Again, though it has a cheaper price tag, its ingredients wouldn’t make you think so.
It is made from a huge range of different natural ingredients and fortifiers, including whole corn, soybeans, wheat, sunflower seeds, oats, safflower seeds, peanuts, split peas, many dried fruits and vegetables like carrots, cranberries, pineapple, banana, raisins, squash seeds, and much more.
Everything that your Amazon parrot could possibly want is sure to be in there.
On top of that, as mentioned, the ingredients are fortified with natural aids to make sure that your Amazon parrot is getting a full and complete meal from this feed.
The large variety of seeds alone ensure a more or less complete nutritional profile in this affordable feed.
With vitamins, minerals and even omega-3 fatty acids, this food will support a healthy skin and shiny feathers, so you’ll notice the difference in your bird right away.
It can feed a huge variety of parrots but Amazon parrots are particularly well suited to this formula.
It is made up of many foods found in the Amazon’s natural habitat, ensuring that it will feel totally at home with this feed.
With this feed, then, you are once again getting the full package at a highly competitive price—it provides just about everything your parrot needs on a day to day basis, while remaining fun and exciting for them to eat.
It avoids the problems of harmful preservatives and chemicals in its all natural formula—all at a great price.
- Among the most affordable options out there while still being premium in terms of its ingredients and formula, not cutting any corners.
- Advanced nutrition with all the minerals necessary as well as the added benefits of omega-3 fatty acids for your Amazon parrot’s health and feathers.
- Enormous variety of food items and ingredients included make it a perfect choice.
- Some report strong chemical smells putting off their birds from eating this food.
- Some report lack of certain ingredients in favour of others.
Again, this may be a budget option, but that’s not because it skimps out on the quality of the product.
Everything you could want out of a parrot food is here in this parrot food and you won’t have to break the bank to buy it.
Alternative premium: Kaytee Exact Rainbow Large Parrot food
Finally we will take a quick look at an alternative premium option, the Kaytee Rainbow parrot food.
This parrot food is again on the pricier side while still being affordable, and you get plenty of added benefits in the food for the price you pay.
It is formulated for medium to large parrots making it a perfect choice for an Amazon.
It’s again a mix of countless different grains and fruits, including corn, wheat, soybean meal, oats, flax seeds, egg, molasses, beet pulp, and countless fortifying ingredients which will ensure your parrot gets everything it needs out of this feed.
The inclusion of ingredients like egg and beets are what sets this feed apart.
Dried, whole eggs included in the feed come with many benefits for your Amazon parrot’s health which it may struggle to get elsewhere, such as the high protein content.
This will promote strength in muscles and bones, making sure your parrot stays healthy for many years to come.
This feed is recognized by veterinarians and breeders as some of the best food out there for parrots of an Amazon’s size.
It will enhance the vibrancy of your parrot’s feathers so you’ll notice right away the difference this feed provides, and their skin will feel better and healthier right away.
It is naturally preserved for the best freshness, again avoiding the use of any harsh or toxic chemicals in the production of this feed.
Additional prebiotics and probiotics will promote your bird’s overall digestive health and wellbeing, ensuring that everything it eats is moving smoothly through its gut.
Without any shells or hulls in the feed, you can be sure nothing is wasted in the packaging.
- Fortifying and nutritionally complete, giving your parrot all the variety of tastes, flavors, as well as being nutritionally complete with vitamins, minerals, and even probiotics.
- Omega 3 supports the health of your bird’s brain and heart, ensuring a long, healthy life in happiness and strength.
- Every single thing in the packaging is edible, lacking any seed hulls or shells.
- On the expensive side given it is a premium formula, however you are of course getting a great deal of added benefit for your money.
- Pellet formula is sometimes difficult for parrots to get used to if they’ve been on something else for a long time.
So, again, if you have the spare money to spend, then this is a great choice for your parrot.
It is tasty and flavorful while also being nutritionally complete, making it one of the best options out there for food for your parrot.
There may be cheaper options that are good, but few are as impressive as this premium parrot feed.